High streets up and down the country are experiencing drastic changes due to changes in shopping habits and as a result of the pandemic. That is why it is more important than ever that we help to revitalise the high street, keep it alive and grow together as a community. West London has been hard hit, but it’s not all doom and gloom as there’s signs of innovation and people working hard to build back the high street.
If you’re thinking about starting a business, here are 5 reasons why you should be based in West London:
1. It’s a vibrant, entrepreneurial community: West London is home to the UK’s first ever shared workspace, located in Barley Mow Passage in Chiswick. This shared workspace has allowed people to collaborate and start up their own businesses.
2. Many world-renowned creative and technology brands are based here: Multinational and some of the world’s leading tech software brands are located here, including Cisco, Sky, Disney, and GlaxoSmithKline.
3. Great culture: West London holds a wealth of history and is surrounded by green spaces and some of the most incredible cultural destinations that attracts people from all around the world. It is a diverse part of London, where you can find a range of cuisines and independent shops.
4. Excellent national and global transport connections: The District and Central Line all go through West London, enabling you to get into the centre in a flash. There’s direct access to the M4 and the rest of the south-east’s motorway network.
5. Home to a highly-skilled workforce: A number of highly regarded universities are either based in West London or have campuses in the area allowing people to have access to higher education.
Chiswick is an excellent example of a town that is revitalising the high street, with 3 difference markets taking place each month in Old Market Place. On the first Sunday of the month take a trip to Chiswick Flower Market (established in September 2020), the first new flower market in London for 150 years and is organised by local residents keen to keep the high street alive. Corky Events has recently introduced an antique and vintage market to Chiswick with traders coming from all over the country. On the third Sunday of the month visit Chiswick Cheese Market (Chiswick was originally known as ‘Cheesewick’) where each month there are over 100 different cheeses to purchase- the market was even listed in The Times ‘Best Food Markets in the UK’!
If you’re located in the West London area or are thinking about setting up a business in West London, here are some links that you might find useful to get you started:
West London Business: https://coronavirus.westlondon.com/
The London Growth Hub: https://www.businesshub.london/
The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB): https://www.fsb.org.uk/
If you live in the borough of Hounslow, you can also use the following websites:
Work and Skills Team at Hounslow Council: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/work-hounslow-28744959001
Hounslow Chamber of Commerce: https://hounslowchamber.org.uk/